Have you ever wanted to explain a flowchart of a business process in words? For example, perhaps you wanted to send an email to your team explaining how to perform a new process. Of course, you’ll link to your draw.io flowchart in your email, but what do you write in the body? Especially when you need to provide written instructions for better accessibility if you have any team members with sight problems?
Wouldn’t it be nice to have an easy way to directly extract the text from your draw.io flowchart. That would make it faster to write such an instructional email or accessible documentation page in Confluence.
draw.io can extract all of the text in your diagram
Using the draw.io text plugin, you can extract the text directly from any flowchart, diagram, or even infographic, and get a good foundation for your written instructions. With the labels and language you actually used in your diagram, this text will help you write more accurately, all without needing to stare at a second screen as you write, or wondering if you forgot a step.
Add the draw.io text plugin to Confluence
An administrator need to add the text plugin to your Confluence instance before you can use it.
- Save the text.js file as an attachment on a page in your Confluence instance.
- Copy the relative URL to the file within your Confluence instance. It will look something like: /confluence/download/attachments/851969/flow.js
- In the draw.io editor in your Confluence instance, click Extras > Plugins, then click Add.
- Paste the relative URL you previously copied into the field, then click Add and then Apply.
Add the text plugin to the web version of draw.io
The draw.io to text plugin is natively supported in the web version of draw.io, so adding it is quite simple.
- In the menu, click on Extras > Plugins > Add.
- In the Enter Value (URL) text field, simply type text in all lower case letters.
- Either click Add or just press Enter.
- Click Apply, then click OK on the prompt that lets you know the plugin will be added when you load the page again in your browser, then refresh the page.